Fictional Role Models

Hey, lovelies!  It's the last year of January which means only two more months of winter YAY! I decided I'd shake things up from my regular fashion post and talk about my other favorite thing: fictional characters!

As some of you already know I'm an avid fangirl with a core deep love of books, movies, TV, practically every form of storytelling I'm a fan of and, like most, I've had a respect and admiration for a lot of fictional characters and I've tried to model my life after them. I believe we tend to think of role models as something we have when we're younger and then to grow out of them, but I think having, or still having, role models as an adult is just as important because we're always developing as people; no matter if your 5 or 85, you can still have someone who you look up too for guidance or to emulate what you hope to achieve in life.

So here are some of the fictional characters I look up and inspire to be.


Claire Underwood(House of Cards) 

Claire Underwood is a BAMF and that is an actual fact. Sure she may be ruthless and without a moral compass, and would probably kill you for half a corn chip but she is a SURVIVOR. She had to deal with more bullshit than ANYONE else on the show and she is three steps ahead of everyone. She's the brain behind Frank Underwood and the Underwood you should be afraid of; the true puppetmaster. She's everything I want to be in life: calm, cool under pressure, cunning, and a certain grace that comes from knowing you can survive anything. Also her wardrobe is perfect.  I'm constantly rooting for her no matter what she does. I'm so happy Kevin Spacey is out of the show because let's be honest, Claire's the more interesting character and the president we deserve.

Elle Woods(Legally Blonde) 

Elle Woods is my personal hero!!!!! She totally flipped the script on so many stereotypes. The "dumb blonde" that only cares about clothes and shopping, the belief that you have to dress and act a certain way to get taken seriously, ESPECIALLY if you're a woman(or identify as a woman). And let's not forget the classic: don't change your whole life for a man because it will ruin your life. Elle Woods studied her ASS off to get in HARVARD FREAKING LAW, to Warren back, then worked her ASS off in law school so show Warren's fiancee that she indeed DESERVED to be there, worked hard but stay true to herself. That's the biggest thing: SHE STAYS TRUE TO HERSELF. She didn't change her looks, she didn't change her principals or core things that are deep to her beliefs AND SHE STILL WON HER CASE. She became a great lawyer, got a better husband and basically got everything she wanted in the start of the movie, but her life is WAYYY better (and she still keeps all the cute outfits). Elle Woods is proof that you should follow your heart no matter what, even if it leads you to unexpected places.

Princess Leia (Star Wars) 

Okay if I can get through this post without sobbing that would be cool. Princess Leia is the people Princess. This girl can SURVIVE guys. This woman has been fighting to the dark side for most of her damn life. She's lost EVERYONE in her life. Her husband, her son, her brother, HER FREAKING PLANET and has never once been tempted to go to the Darkside. She's legit the ONLY Skywalker that has never been tempted, so by that fact she's just the better Skywalker. I just love her courage, her resilience to face anything and learn to fight another day. But more importantly, I admire her for the fact that no matter how much she lost, she was still able to love, and that's rare and that's pure. We should all be more like Leia.

Minerva McGonagall (Harry Potter) 

Oh Momma McG! There are a lot of strong women in the Harry Potter Series that I could have put on this list. J.K Rowling did a fantastic job of writing really in-depth three-dimensional female characters that are all different, but if ask who I wanted to grow up to be, it would have to be Minerva McGonagall.
Because McGonagall doesn't take any shit that's why.
   Professor McGonagall is the old lady that I want to be when I grow up (if I grow up lol). She's tough but fair. She believes in the rules but knows that rules can and should be broken. She doesn't show any favoritism with her Gryffindor students but does deeply care about them. She was the first person to cry out when Harry was found "dead". She so upset in book two when Hermione was in the hospital. She will fight for her students until the very end because she loves them. She's not afraid of voicing her options and doing what is right. She is ruled completely by her principles. Keep doing your thing Momma McG.

Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird) 

Atticus Finch is not only my role model, but my fictional crush, the name of my first son if I ever have kids, and my favorite character of all time. He's everything I admire and hope to be in life. I have read To Kill a Mockingbird about four times and each time I develop a deeper admiration for this man. He is a widowed father, trying to teach his two children about life in a backdrop of ignorance and hate as he fights a doomed case. He could have been bitter, he could have hated the crappy hand he was dealt, but he still chose to see the good in others. He let his tomboy daughter be herself and did what his heart told him what was right. He has been my moral compass since I was 15 and a source of strength in my darkest time. He's one of the reasons I became interest in both journalism and becoming a mental health advocate. I could say more, but I'll you with my favorite quote, that came from Mr. Atticus Finch:


That's it for today loves! Who are some of your fiction role models? Let me know you in the comments, and don't forget to follow me on twitter and on Instagram.
Stay Stylin,
Elle

Comments

  1. I'm totally with you on Princess Leia. I mostly loved her sass and her wit - that she didn't let anyone intimidate her, took charge of her situation and more often than not, saved herself. Who said the princess can't also be the dragon, amirite?!

    I think one of my favorite fictional character role models is Pepper Potts - Tony Stark's bamf assistant. Not only is she a redhead (represent!) but she's damn near unflappable. That woman can pick up after Tony Stark with a calm smile and then go on to run the entirety of Stark Industries. And she always looks sharp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg I love Pepper Potts! Her outfits are always on point!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Best Sunglasses and Swimsuit Pairings

Fashion History Lesson: Chokers

My Top 24 Outfits