A Wintrovert's Survival Guide

Hello Lovelies! How's everyone first week of 2018 going? Mine has been freezing, like legit negative degree temperatures. Already 2018 is freezing me out! Not cool dude!
    I'm what you call a wintrovert: a person who does not go out when it's snowing or flipping cold (like negative degree's cold). I live in Upstate New York, boarding on Vermont in a very small country town. Do you think they plow the roads, like, at all?
NOPE!
    Which means if there's a really big storm like the one last week I'm stuck at home for DAYS, which makes me very very stir crazy(I'm lucky to have a job I can work at home from but makes me stay locked in the house). Now I understand why bears hibernate. I also really really wish I was a bear, I can just snooze through all this and wake up in the spring.
(Though let's be honest, I'd make a cute bear)
     Now I know what you're thinkings: Oh Elle, you've lived in Upstate New York all your life, and you went to college 20 minutes from the Canadian Boarder, how can possibly complain about this weather? To which I respond with:
1. I am a delicate houseplant who needs sunshine to survive and I don't do well in this bitter winter chill. I'm bitter enough.
2. This has been the coldest winter on record in a long time and it's barely January. And those of us who live in the cold part of the U.S.A you know that winter starts from late November to Mid April so we are in a long haul of coldness so let me complain about my suffering UGH.
          Anyway, so until climate change swings the other way and gives us a glorious heat wave (fingers crossed). Here is a survival guide to get through the rest of the winter, in the safety and comfort of your own home.


Clothing 
  • Coats Preferable two coats if you can afford it. One long, puffy coat in either black or grey that will go with everything for when the weather is bad.  And one that shorter that can be in a fun  print when it's cold but not terrible.
  • Sweaters I've really grown to love sweaters over the years, especially after living in Potsdam for a few years where sweaters are a way of life. I only have a couple now, since a wore out a few, so I seriously need to restock before it gets back to the single digits again. My favorite sweaters. I get my sweaters from many different places but the warmest sweater I have in my Great Gatsby sweater from Out of Print Clothing 
  • Fleece Leggings  Okay fleece leggings are a LIFESAVER folks. You don't have to put your pretty dresses away for the winter. The right pair of fleece leggings can feel just like pants and keep you just as warm. I got my favorite pair of fleece leggings from Forever 21 for like $7.90 and they are worth it folks (knitted tights from Forever 21 are also a good idea too) 
  • Boots Same advice with the coats, get a good strong pair for really bad icy days, and a cute pair for the not so bad days. Also, do not forget to spray some salt protector on those babies! 
  • Scarves Hello my name is Elle and I'm a scarf addict. Seriously loves, its a problem. I loom so I make a lot of scarves and I used to make them for my friends and stuff (I don't think anyone liked the scarves I made but whatever) but now I don't have a lot of new friends so I just have a lot of scarves hanging around which is perfect for this cold weather! 
  • Fluffy Socks A sure fire sign of becoming an "adult" is getting excited over socks. Like legit excited for nice fluffy socks. For good reason! Socks come in a ton of cute patterns that make your heart smile and make your feet feel nice and warm. 
  • Gloves Ya'll, buy yourselves some cute gloves so your fingers don't freeze off! You're not "too cool" for gloves. 
  • Hats See scarves. 
  • Fluffy Bathrobe The only thing I really asked for this Christmas was for a new bathrobe because the old one was getting on in years. I got a really nice fluffy one that lavender and leopard print. It's so soft and perfect for lounging at home while watching Netflix. 
Beauty 
  • Hand Lotion Winter dries out ever part of your body. Like its actually soul-sucking. I've been looking for a good hand cream without any results, so if you have any recommendations, please let me know in the comments. Thanks in advance. 
  • Lip Balm My lips get so chapped in the winter that they won't heal for days. I've tried just about everything over the years, and oddly enough Lip Smackers Lip Balm(yes from middle school) is honestly the best one. Idk why or how it heals my lips (probably magic) but it works. I use the Pumpkin Latte flavor which is the bomb and smells like fall. 
  • Face Mask Same as the Hand Lotion. Please save me and give me some recommendations! 
Entertainment 
  • Books Snow days are the perfect way to catch up on your big To Be Read pile or get back into reading again. I stupidly finished all my books and had to order more (yes, I have a book buying problems).  Here are some perfect books to read on a snowy day. 
-Six of Crows Duology by Leigh Bardugo 
-Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel 
-Everything Jane Austen has ever written ever (it's only like 7 books) 
  • TV/Movies Netflix and chill in the literal sense folk, because it's very very chilly if you're not covered up in a million blankets. Because I'm trying to hibernate like an actual bear, TV, and movies are a great way for me to distract myself from my crippling seasonal depression.  Here are some of my recommendations: 
Movies:
-All of the Harry Potter films (HBO Go/HBO Now) 
-Moonstruck (which is my favorite movie ever and is on Amazon Video) 
-Breakfast At Tiffany's (Netflix)  
-Pocahontas (or really any Disney movie, this one is just my favorite) 
TV
-The Great British Bakeoff (Netflix) 
-Bob's Burger (Hulu) 
-Alias Grace (Netflix) 
-Big Little Lies (HBO) 
  • Baking I love baking! I find it so relaxing and productive, plus it heats your place up too. Last week I made Eggnog cookies, Vanilla cake with Peanut Butter frosting, and blondies. If you're not a great baker or don't have a lot of ingredients on hand, try making a soda cake where you take cake mix + soda and magically make a tasty cake (or cupcakes). Here is a website that lists all types of flavor combos: here  Though my personal favorite is Vanilla cake and Orange soda for a Creamsicle cake. 
  • Coloring Books I'm a sucker for the adult coloring book trend. I must have like ten of them now and the obsession is real. However, it's so relaxing and really takes my mind off the stress of winter. Plus pretty pictures. 
How to Prep for the Next Winter Storm 
  • Make sure you have all your medications Mother Nature is a bigger bitch than all of us and we must respect her for that. If a huge storm is coming make sure you have all your medications filled because in case you're snowed in and can't go anywhere. Always stock up on what you can't live without. 
  • Check Your flashlights, car jumpers, pipes, fuel etc: If it can go wrong, it will go wrong. Also, it's not a bad idea to get a wireless charger for your phone. 
  • KEEP YOUR PETS INSIDE If you're cold, they're cold so don't be a jerk! 
  • Stock up on Supplies If a storm is coming that looks like it will last for a few days, head to the storm and pick up on the essentials. Soups are always a good choice, bread, eggs, milk, booze, hot drinks, booze, comfort food recipes, booze. Don't buy a lot of stuff that will go in the freezer or fridge or have to be made in case the power goes out. Oh, and booze (in case I didn't mention it before lol). 
There you have it loves, everything you need to ride out the winter. Remember it will be spring again someday, we just gotta hold on till then.  What do you think of the winter so far? What do you do on "Snow days". Also, I would love some book/TV/movie recommendations you guys have. 

That's all for now loves, I'm about to do some more writing as it continues to snow. 

Stay Stylin' (and warm), 
Elle 

P.S Follow me on twitter here and my Instagram here 



Comments

  1. Here in good ole Minne-snow-ta we just passed out of seriously negative temperatures into a nice and balmy 32° F - so I feel your pain!

    My advice - keep a furry or fleecy throw blanket handy - you can wrap it 'round your shoulders whilst waiting for your tea or coffee to percolate or drape it across your lap while reading, web surfing, or watching films.

    I absolutely second scarves and sweaters - even better if you can pair them together for a really cute, winterized ensemble. I also love anything velvet, because it sits so warmly against bare skin and also looks pretty classy.

    For skin care - invest in a good face oil - preferably something with Vitamin E. You pat that over your usual routine/moisturizer and it works wonders to seal it all in. Can't have that dry air sucking moisture out of our skin, now can we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg my furry blanket has been my BFF this past week. It's been nice here the last couple days but it's suppose to freeze back up by the weekend. Sending you sunshine!

    Yes! Scarves for the win. It's the only bright spot of the darkness of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beginning of January freezing indeed - well below freezing here on Long Island, and I know it was even colder where you are. Your clothing suggestions are excellent. I'd add into that, although they're not sexy or fashionable), long thermal underwear and an electric blanket.
    I may try watching Alias Grace (I do have NetFlix).
    You look adorable in that first photo.
    Your winter emergency preparedness storm prep how-to is excellent. Happy hibernating!

    http://www.full-brief-panties.blogspot.com/2017/10/lingerie-review-of-full-brief-panties.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg I have a heated mattress and it's my BFF this winter lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Best Sunglasses and Swimsuit Pairings

Fashion History Lesson: Chokers

My Top 24 Outfits