Creating a Capsule Library

Hello loves! So a couple of months ago my bestie Kat tweeted me a link to Super Space Chick blog where she was tagged to do a really fun book and fashion challenge called "Creating a Capsule Library" and it looked so fun I knew I had to give it a try. This challenge, that was created by FOUR different book bloggers: Alexa of Alexa Loves Books, Rachel of Hello Chelly, Hannah of So Obsessed With and Kelly of Belle of the Literati. The rules are super simple: 
Pick 10 pieces of clothing (5-7 actual clothing and 3-5 accessories) that you love and would preserve forever in a time capsule and 5-7 authors and 3-5 single books (no series!) that you love and would persevere forever. Here, I'll break it down for ya: 


  • The Clothes: 5-7 authors (any/all of their books would be in your library)
  • The Accessories: 3-5 individual books (and no cheating with a series!)
Easy-peasy right? It was actually super hard loves! I love clothes and books and have so many pieces and books that I love and treasure dearly. It was like asking me to cut off my own arm (okay, maybe not as dramatic, but you get the idea.) 
Annnnnyway here are some of the pieces I picked out after a lot of hard work and deep reflexion. 

The Clothes: 5-7 authors (any/all of their books would be in my library) 
  • Black Skinny Jeans/Kurt Vonnegut: Kurt Vonnegut is probably my favorite writer for all time (although Margaret Atwood is gunning for that position). His books have a really dry sense of humor but really deep and profound, and still just as impactful and on point today as they were in the 1970's when they were written. As much as I love dresses and skirts, sometimes a girl needs her old classic: skinny jeans. My velvet like skinnies go with anything, fit great and give off that angsty vibe that Vonnuget totes have. 
  • Red skater skirt/Jane Austen It was super hard to choose one of my skater skirts to put on the list since I had three favorites, but I ultimately picked the red since it went with the most things, was a pop of color and I wear it the most. Like the skater skirt, Jane Austen is the OG of girl power writing, often using wit and romance to not only tell a story but tell stories of real women. An Austen heroine is often true to herself and looking for love in their marriage (a rare thing back then). Wearing skater skirts makes me fun, girly and oh so charming that I too can snark my way into the heart of Mr. Darcy. 
  • Hamlet t-shirt/John Green: I feel like I'm cheating a bit by picking a shirt with a Hamlet quote on it since Shakespeare is one of my favorite writers (I was an English major, fight me) and Hamlet is one of my favorite plays, but out of all my bookish shirt (to which I have a lot) this one is my favorite. Soft, perfect fight and goes with legit everything. Forever 21 doesn't even make this shirt anymore so if something happens to it I will cry. Just like John Green books make me cry. John Green is an author whose books I find very relatable, both funny and terribly tragic, and stays with me long after I finish the book. And just like the play Hamlet, John Green often writes about angsty teens who give long speeches and die at the end. 
  • Rose dress/Sylvia Plath: I've had this dress for five years now and I've real deal considering going down to Forever 21 and buying two backup dresses because I cannot be without this dress. I never feel more confident and sexy and the best version of myself then I am wearing this dress. Sylvia Plath is a very big influence on my life and my writing, I relate to her on a very personal level (even though I have/will never meet here). I picked this dress to pair with Sylvia, first because of the rose thing in The Bell Jar. But this dress is not only pretty, but the back of the dress is completely open, just like Sylvia writing was completely open about her own life and very vulnerable, which is what I relate most too. 
  • LindyBop Circus Dress/J.K. Rowling: It took me a very long time to pick LindyBop dress to put on this list (they are my soulmates and I love them) but then I look at the circus dress, and how can I not love lions and top hats. I love 50's glamour and fun, just like I have a deep love of the Harry Potter novels and is still my favorite book series of all time. This dress is very magical, just like Harry Potter and, like the fandom at the moment, it's a bit of a circus :P
  • Purple leather Jacket/Edgar Allen Poe: OMG I have been in love with Poe since I was a kid. His life is just so mysterious and interesting and his work is so incredible, that I can read his stories over and over again and still be amazed. Just like this purple leather jacket, Poe brings on the dramaaaaa. 
  • Tiffany necklace/To Kill a Mockingbird: Next to the Harry Potter series, To Kill a Mockingbird is my favorite book of all time. I have read it four times and it still as powerful as the first time I read it. It's a book that completely owns my heart. My Tiffany's necklace was a sweet sixteen gift I got from my mother around the same time I first To Kill A Mockingbird. It's so simple and sweet and one of my most treasured pieces of jewelry. 
  • Red High Heels/The Book Thief: If you haven't read The Book Thief right now, please go and do so right now it will change your life. My red high heels are my favorite pair of shoes and they make me feel so tall and powerful and ready to get shit down. Plus the colors in the book. 
  • Cross Earrings/Jane Eyre: For the record, I don't think the actual Jane Eyre would ever wear these cross earrings because they would be too fancy (even if I told her they were only four bucks), but these really remind me of the novel Jane Eyre for many reasons. They're very gothic like the novel itself and sturdy like Jane. I feel like I can catch by Bronte hero with these earrings (but would I want him, hmmmmm) 
  • Moon Necklace/The Great Gatsby: I love a good statement necklace, and no one in book history quite makes statement party like Jay Gatsby. My moon necklace from Kirk Folley that I received as a Christmas gift ages ago is big, flashy, and catches everyone eyes, just like a Gatsby Party in West Egg. 
There you go loves! That's my capsule library. Since this is a tagging challenge, I'm going to tag my bestie Kat at The Geeky Librarian, Michaela from On the Cusp, Emma at Heart Autumn and everyone else who wants to do this challenge. If you do end up doing thing challenge, please tag me because I would to see your answers!

Stay Stylin'
Elle


Comments

  1. Oh no! I've been tagged? Alright *crackles knuckles* guess I better get to work on this one then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this has to be one of my favorite posts so far!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Best Sunglasses and Swimsuit Pairings

Fashion History Lesson: Chokers

My Top 24 Outfits