Am I Hipster yet?

Hey Lovies! I'm back with another long awaited installment of my Am I...yet? series. If you haven't heard of it, or if you just want to catch up, click here for: EdgyPreppy, and Boho.  For this post I'm going to do the Hipster look!

What's a Hipster? Well, my  favorite definition of a hipster from Urban Dictionary are:
"Hipster's can't be defined because then they'd fit in a category, and thus be too mainstream."

But seriously folks, basically hipsters are people who enjoy things that are considered to be outside of the the social mainstream( certain clothing, music, food etc). People who prefer independent music labels, pre-loved clothing found in thrift shops and the technology of yester-year.

Now I know what you're thinking: "But Elle, if the hipster culture is so popular, then doesn't that make the mainstream?" I don't know what to tell you, just another paradox of life.

Anyway, Here are so pop culture examples of Hispter fashion:

Actress Zoeey Deschannel (and her character Jess from The New Girl)

Actress Kristen Stewart



Actress Ellen Page


Now that we have our inspiration, lets look at our colors

Color Palette 

  • Black 
  • Maroon
  • Grey 
  •  Coffee bean Brown 
  • General Earth-y tones (green, browns, tans, yellows)
  • Soft pastels 
Clothing items 
Here are some clothing items to add to your wardrobe (bonus points if you got them from a thrift shop)
  • Flannel 
  • Crop tops 
  • Oversized sweaters 
  • Book inspired shirts
  • Vintages shirts from thrift shops (bonus points if they’re band shirt or ironic or both)
  • Skinny jeans (in bright colors or patterns )
  • Ripped jeans 
  • Chambray shirts 
  • Demin vest 
  • Demin cut offs
  • Muscle tanks 
  • Skater skirt and dresses
  • Slouchy cardigan 
Accessories


  • Bennies (bonus points if hand made)
  • Wide brined hats
  • Thick framed glasses
  • Giant Round Sunglasses
  • Typewriter of Vinyl record player 
  • Converse sneakers
  • Dc Martens
  • Messenger bag
  • Kitsch Jewellery 
  • Scarfs
  • bow ties
  • Hand made jewelry 
Makeup and Hair
Most hipster either find makeup to be too main stream or its a go big or go home type of deal. Dark red lipstick or heavy cat eyes would fit the look, but if you wanna go natural, that works too!
The Hipster look is rather androgynous, so short boyish  hair is totally cool, especially if you dye it cool color like blue or purple or do the cool mermaid trend hair. You can also go them other way and have really long hair, also dyed. Piercings and tattoos are totally apart of this look (but you don't like them, don't feel pressure). The main look you want to go for with the hipster look is individuality. So be yourself. 

Elle the Hipster
A look at my own hipster outfits. I was playing around with the Photo Booth on my Mac and I swear to God, one day I will take a good picture!! Not today, but someday
Like for reals, its so hard for me to take a good picture (Also notice I did buy that flannel, check that off the list)
Also, I got a haircut
Me Ironically giving piece sign (featuring hand loomed beanie)
Just little hipster things

Well, that's it for me, time for me to go type on my typewriter, drink some black coffee and listen to some vinyl. 

Stay Stylin'
Elle 






 

Comments

  1. Like Zoeey's style :)
    BLOG M&MFASHIONBITES : http://mmfashionbites.blogspot.gr/
    Maria V.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Best Sunglasses and Swimsuit Pairings

Fashion History Lesson: Chokers

My Top 24 Outfits