Finals Week is over!!!!

FREEDOM!!! SWEET FREEDOM!!!! Finally done with finals week and out of New Canada! By some miracle I have survived and live to blog another day. This finals' week was more of a struggle to get through then former finals weeks, mainly because I had to edit and re-edit my Capstone project. 

A Capstone is a project that all creative writing majors have to do at my college when they get into COMP 490: Writing Supervision. It's kinda like a senior thesis. Students can do a book of poems, a collection of short stories, a novella or part of a novel. It just has to be 50,000 words or more.

I decided to do part of the novel I've been working on for a couple of years now.(92,000 words long total).  This was after I had tried, and failed to write a number of short stories that would equal 50,000 (note to creative writing majors: a short stories is about 3,000 words a piece, give or take a thousand. You cannot write enough short stories to equal 50,000 in three month. Trust me.)

This was actually fun because I hadn't really looked at the first part of my novel since I first wrote it, so it was cool going back an edit some things and kinda fall back in love with the story. My novel is about this two identical twin sisters who learn that they have abnormal powers and go to a school for the "Gifted". There they met friends and discover a dark secret about the school. It was really fun to back to that. 

However, the not fun thing was editing 54,000 words, twice. Once for content and once for spelling and grammar. I, being the brilliant person that I am, decided that I would be a swell idea to change everything from past tense to present tense. Though it worked much better for the novel in general, I almost ripped my eyeball out. I also had my first panic attack ever...fuuuuuunnnnnn. 

It also didn't help that I made another  brilliant idea to continue working at the Writing Center during finals week.  Here's a picture of me at work, looking completely dead inside. 

See! Look how completely done I look. I didn't have any finals but I had four papers and a capstone, why did I think it was a good idea to work?!?! Sighhhhh.

Luckily, I had amazing friends that helped me get through this and...IT'S DONE IT'S DONE MY CAPSTONE IS OVER!!!!! It also a big chuck of my novel that done. All I have to do is write four more chapters and edit the rest and I'll have a book ready to be published. It's crazy! I could actually be a published author and get the lighthouse I also wanted...ahhhhh dreams. 

Anyway, I also have some good news. Last week I just applied to my first grad school!! I've thought long and hard about it and I think I want to get my MFA. The first one I applied to is Syracuse University for their MFA in Fiction. I'm super nervous because they only let six fiction writers in at a time. I'll applying to a few others in January and February but I'm super nervous about getting in somewhere...ugh future. I'm trying to look at the positive for now, everything will work out for my highest good; I just need to remember that. (Also if any of you lovely readers know of a good MFA grad school, message me!!)

Anyway, this is my life update, I'm going to sleep for a hundred years and listen to Christmas music but I'll be back, as fashionable as always. 

Stay Stylin' 
Elle  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Sunglasses and Swimsuit Pairings

Fashion History Lesson: Chokers

My Top 24 Outfits