The Singles Guide to Valentine's Day

Hello Lovelies! Happy Monday!  I'm sure you all know what time of year it is. You've seen all the stupid pink and red hearts and giant teddy bears in every single drug store and grocery store.
 Valentines Day is upon us folks.
Ugh!
      Not going to lie folks, I hate Valentines Day, for both personal and moral reasons. Moral, because I think it's so corrupt and consumerism. It was essentially created as a cash holiday to keep stores going between Christmas and Easter with the sole intent of making money.  It's also sexist because it's targeted to women, saying that they have to be in a relationship on this certain day or something is wrong with you. And if you are in a relationship and this day isn't 1000% perfection, something is wrong with your relationship. It's a lot of needless pressure and so many stereotypes that's all just ew.
     I don't like Valentine's day on a personal note because every one of my Valentines while dating has been terrible. Like god awful. From being publically dumped to having a boyfriend read my text messages WHILE I was passed out drunk (a red flag I now see in a review mirror of life). So I'm taking a hard pass on Valentine's day forever.
    I'm comfortable single this year and feeling pretty alright about it. I have so much in my life that I have to perfect to be happy that I can't even think of adding a person into this mess. Also St. Valentine was also the patron saint of beekeeping, epilepsy, and plague so he's not all that and a bag of chips TBH.
   So I was bit conflicted as to if I actually wanted to do a blog about Valentines Day because I'm so annoyed about the whole holiday. But then I realized that it could be a really cool opportunity to do some self-care. Because who's more deserving of your undying love than you?
So without further ado here's:

Since Valentine's Day is all about love, here are some fun ways to show yourself some self-love and really Treat Yo Self on this problematic holiday.
(image from here)

  • Get Dolled up for yourself 
I personally love to get all dressed up for Valentine's day, even if I'm not going anywhere or seeing anyone. Once in college, I was the only one in my suite and didn't have a "real" relationship, so I put on my favorite dress, did my makeup with my favorite lipstick, and drank Mike's Hard Lemonade while watching documentaries about writers. And it was great! I had fun. I always feel better when I get dressed up. So to get ready for a date with yourself by treating yourself to a nice bath or shower, using sweet smelling things. Do your hair and nails if you want (or don't if you don't like doing that stuff), use all the pretty thing that make yourself feel your best self. If you feel your best self in a pretty dress and high heels, do that. If you feel your best in a hoodie and leggings, you do you, babe! There's no wrong way to dress for yourself. 
  • Plan some dinner and drinks (or drinks and candy) 
I actually hate going out on Valentine's Day because it's super overcrowded and uncomfortable. I think it's almost more romantic to stay in with your partner if you really want to be affectionate. Then again this may be the introvert in me talking. So plan your favorite meal for yourself. What do you love to eat? What's something that you haven't had in awhile that you've been craving, do it! Here's a look at my Valentine's Day meal: 
Is it the healthy meal I can eat? No, not by a long shot, but sometimes you just got to say "screw it, I'm doing what I want" and eat King Size Peanut Butter cups and drink amarettos and cokes. So great your favorite drink (alcoholic or non), your favorite treat, and relax. 
  • Plan fun, relaxing, activities 
My favorite thing to do on Valentine's day is drink and watch documentaries. I might change it up a little this year and watch all the Harry Potter movies since they're all on HBO now. I might do my nails, color, or loom. Those are my favorite things to do by myself. What are some of your favorite alone activities (we all have some)? It might be reading, drawing, playing with your pets, listening to podcast, whatever! Screw the commercials, it's your day!

Other friendly reminders: 
  • Just because you're single on Valentine's day, doesn't mean you have to be lonely. You can be alone and not lonely. You can also be with people and be hella lonely. If you don't feel like being by yourself on V-day, please don't go on Tinder. Instead, plan some fun activities with your friends! It's more fun and so much less pressure. 
  • Love is 365 days a year, not just one day. 
  • You're a fantastic person! Go you! Love you! 

Well, that's it for me gang. What are some of your Valentine's Day plan? Let me know in the comments. You can also follow me on Twitter or Instagram 

Stay Stylin' 
Elle 



 

Comments

  1. Fun fact ~ there's really no definitive proof that a Saint Valentine even existed! The character that exists in our minds now is probably an amalgamation of various different saints in the past, but the most notable story is that Saint Valentine was a bishop who deliberately refused the orders of the Vatican and married young soldiers to their sweethearts. You see, it was though that unmarried men would fight better and harder than married soldiers who had something to lose, so the church forbade their entrance into holy matrimony. How effed is that?

    Anyways, this bishop defied orders and married people anyways. He was excommunicated from the church, branded a traitor, and some speculate that he was probably executed for his deeds, making him a martyr for love.

    Even if none of that is empirically true, it still makes for a good story and an infinitely more interesting backstory to what became the most disgustingly hetero-normative consumer trap in the United States. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Best Sunglasses and Swimsuit Pairings

Fashion History Lesson: Chokers

My Top 24 Outfits