What I did over winter break (aka the story of how I loomed 11 infinity scarves and 3 hats)

Hey lovelies. Hope everyone had a good winter break. I'm heading back to New Canada on Sunday for my last semester of undergraduate college! It's so emotional and overwhelming and I both love/ hate it. And, after a very frustrating time regarding transcript and 235 dollars later (owie!) I'm almost fully applied to 6 graduate school. Now the endless waiting process (cries).

Also, exciting news!! I have 1,119 page views!! I mean, thats a huge number to me, and sure, most of those are probably just spam or me checking out my own blog but some people outside my own life are reading this thing, and I say thank you, you the real MVP.

Anyway, I'm happy to point out that this is my third blog post this month which means...I ACTUALLY DID SOMETHING ON MY NEW YEAR LIST!!!! (Throws ticket tape parade). Okay I know I'm suppose to post three things every month in order to check it off my list, but it my defense I'm very bad at a lot of things so this is a big deal.

Actually, I almost done with a lot of stuff on my list:

  • Read 3 Creative Non-Fiction books( 2/3) Over break I read Under the Banner of Heaven  by John Krakauer (really interesting read about the history of the Mormon faith.) and Walden by Henry David Thoereau, America's first hipster (Don't believe me? Fun fact: Thoereau real name is David Henry Thoereau. If that's not hipster I don't know what is)
  • Have 3 success that are adequate or higher.  I was hirer to be a ghost writer for this e-book publishing company that publishes romantic short stories.  I can't say a whole lot about this job because of a contract I signed but, hey this is the first time in my life I'm getting paid to write, which is super exciting! Take that society!
  • Buy a Flannel.  (I'll talk more about it in my up-coming post "Am I...Hipster yet?)
Okay, back back to the title of the post. So last semester I really wanted to learn how to crochet because I really wanted to learn how to make scarves and hats and stuff like that. I learned very quickly that I cannot crochet. I'm utter hopeless at it. Not for lack of trying, I ask my housemate Cassie who's an excellent crocheter and she couldn't teach me. I even when to a club on campus called Stitch-n-Bitch (awesome name, less awesome club) and nothing. 
So, I go to Wal-mart looking for a Crochet book or Crochet for dummie and I see this loom for sale for 7 bucks. 

It looked pretty simple and hey 7 bucks why the heck not! So, without reading the any of the information that it came with I started looming, and fell in love with it. 
It's so simple! I just wrap the yarn (I usually use 5 or 6 bulk yarn) around the number of pegs I want to use (usually around 15-19 pegs, depending on how wide I want the scarf) Then when I get to the end of the pegs, I wrap the wrap around the pegs again until I get to the first peg. Than all I do it take my little looming hook and I push the hook under the bottom loop and pull it over the top loop. BOOM you made a stitch. Then you just keep repeating those simple step and soon you have a scarf.
Well, I quickly became a looming addict and even got a set of round loom so I can make hats and easier infinity scarfs.

During the semester I made a lot of scarfs and hats for my family and friends as Christmas gifts so this time I thought I would make myself some stuff over break (I 'm a sucker for scarfs)
So I made 11.
These are the 9 I made for myself, plus one matching hat. The other three scarfs and two hats I made for my mom
Okay, so 9 seems like a lot but, it my defense...people keep buying me yarn. It's so not my fault.
Anyway, I still planning on making a few more scarfs in my school colors and maybe a few Harry Potter theme scarves. I'm also planning on making a few hats. My big project however is making a blanket.
Looming is super relaxing and a thousand times easier than crochet because it's so much easier to see everything. I'm proud to say that I'm a real LOOMnatic.
If you want to loom your own hat and scarf, check out these cools likes here and here
Happy Looming!
Stay Stylin'
Elle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Sunglasses and Swimsuit Pairings

Fashion History Lesson: Chokers

My Top 24 Outfits