Modcloth Stylish Surprise (October Edition)

Hello lovelies! Your girl here with another review! As you are well aware, I am a sucker for Modcloths Stylish Suprise, I've written several reviews on it, and no matter what I'm doing, or how low my shopping money fund is (yes I have a fund set up just for clothing spending) I will buy SOMETHING at the Stylish Suprise, also known as fashion Russian Roulettes.

     For the folks at home who haven't heard of Stylish Surprise,  It's something that the clothing site ModCloth does every few months where they offer their beautiful(and pricey) dress, apparel, shoes, jewelry and apartment items for super low prices. The catch? You have no item what your getting. You pick the size and that's it. You could get something you love, or you can get something you hate. Russian Roulettes man. This time, they switched it up a bit. They used to do four or five categories: dresses, apparel, shoes, jewelry, and apartment items. This time they were super specific with their products breaking it up into dozens of categories: Dresses ($20), Tops ($15), Bottoms ($15), Outerwear($15), swim($10), Shoes($10), Jewelry($5), Accessories ($5) Apartment items($10). I think the reason behind this is because of how many complaints that Modcloth received about the blank apparel (the possibility of getting just a white t-shirt, not know what size to order etc). It's the reason why I never ordered apparel surprise before.

This Stylish Suprise is also very interesting because this is the first Stylish Suprise since Modcloth has been bought by Walmart, leaving many fans of the site to worry about the quality of the products they were getting. Also just the shadiness of Wal-mart in general.

This Stylish Suprise season, I shook things up and got a bottom (extra small), outerwear(small), and tried to get an accessory but they sold out while I was checking out, but when I went back they added four more and I got on. I had been very lucky in the Modcloth lotto with last time getting an awesome pair of heels and a beautiful dress and earrings from the time before that.

I guess I was pressing my luck.

It started when I got my shipping notification and, much to my disappointment to find that my outerwear was oversold. I was upset because that was the one I was most looking forward to and was mad that they didn't inform me until shipping was out because I could have swapped for a top or a dress or just canceled my order. Customer services were nice, although they couldn't swap it for a top or another bottom that cost the same amount, they did refund my outerwear and shipping cost which was nice.
So I ended up just getting a bottom and an accessory.











First item: Bottom (Extra Small)="Let's go for a Benspin A-Line Skirt by Her Universe 
Original Price: $74.99 marked down to $22.99
What I paid: $15


So when I first opened the packages and saw just the sky print, I was super excited because I really love galaxy prints and I was hoping for a skirt, Then when I opened it I from the tag it was  a Star Wars skirt from Her Universe which made me doubt excited because I LOVE Star Wars and I've wanted to try Her Universe after seeing all over in Hot Topic. But when I took a good look at it...it took me a long time to figure out why it's starwards 
Mainly because the Millennial Falcon is super burry on the dress that you can hardly tell that it is the famous ship. Also the random spaceship in the back in out of place and ugly. 
But that's not the worst thing: it feels cheap, like really cheap. Like Halloween costume cheap, Walmart Halloween costume cheap. Its all polyester and just doesn't feel good. Does NOT feel like it cost almost $80 bucks which is probably why it was marked down. 
You can also buy this exact skirt at Walmart for 20 bucks, interesting...
It was also super wrinkled when it came, so was the invoice which makes me feel like Modcloth balled it up and through it together. It's also (and it's a common complaint amoung the people who bought this: its very tight)
(I should have warn you I look super ugly right now because I'm not feeling my best. Sorry in advance)
Verdict: This would be cute for like Halloween at the office or going to a local con, but the material is too visibly cheap for me to wear it out and the fact that I can this for almost the same price at Walmart, is annoying, because Modcloth is supposed to be unique. 
Second Item: Accessorie: Shining Sensation Reversable Clutch
Orginal Price: $40, reduced to $14
What I paid: $5 plus shipping so $11.
Really talk fam, I was super confused when I got this because I was like "What is this?" It is a laptop case? A Ipad case? Book holder? Me and my besties were going back and forth for to what is it. All I keep saying is that the "the inside is so pretty, why can't it be on the outside? And then it hit me: 
Its reversible 

Honestly though, to call this a reversible clunch is a tough sell before look
The pretty moon pattern is polyester, has the outside tag and is very hard to reverse and zip. Also its awkward to hold and too big to be a clutch. Maybe a travel bag? Also I know I saw this at Walmart for $10. So that's a thing. 

     On the plus side however, both the skirt and the bag match so that's cool. 

Finally Verdict on Stylish Suprise: Honestly, the buy out from Walmart has noticeable changed some things, and no for the better. I shop at Walmart, I buy clothes at Walmart, nice, good quality clothes. I had hoped that by Walmart it would do one of two things: 
1) Lower the very high prices on Modcloth clothing
2) Have Modcloth clothes at local Walmarts while keeping its quality 
It seems to have reverse that. Modcloths prices are still the same but the quality has gone down and is super noticeable. Instead of Modcloth coming to Walmart, Walmart came to Modcloth. It's disappointing because Modcloth used to be unique and high quality, and in the past, everything got on in Stylish Suprise, even the flappy dress I never wore was high quality and original. This is not. 
So, would I do another Stylish Surpirse? I want to say no, but the Stylish Suprise has become that ex boyfriend that you swore you'd never go back too, but then he texts you at 3 a.m. with "u up?". How do I say no to this? 

What is your Modcloth Stylish Suprise Experience? Let me know in the comments. 
Stay Stylin' 
Elle 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Sunglasses and Swimsuit Pairings

Fashion History Lesson: Chokers

My Top 24 Outfits