Movies that are my fashion inspiration

Hey lovelies! As a fashion blogger and just someone who loves fashion in general, I get inspiration from everywhere, from colors I see, stores I go too, Instagram, people I see, and mainly from movies. I'm a huge movie buff, I just adore watching old classic films, losing myself for a couple hours in a different time, different world. Many of the movies I watch have inspired my style, just how unique some of the pieces are. So I decided to share some of my favorite movies that are also my fashion inspiration.

1) The Lady Eve (1941)


















The Lady Eve is 1941 screwball comedy about a beautiful con artist (Barabara Standwick) and a shy, naive heir (Henry Fonda) who meet on an ocean liner and fall in love, but not without some scheming, fake identity and a snake or two. Famous Hollywood costume designer Edith Head worked on the film and the clothes really do make the film. The first picture is my favorite outfit of the film. It's such a simple outfit, but it's beautiful and different. You can even re-create that outfit easily with a maxi skirt and crop top (who knew they had crop tops in the 40's?). I also like the tailored blazers and the just the classic dresses.
2) How to Marry a Millionaire(1953) 



How to Marry a Millionaire is a romantic comedy following three models (Lauren Bacall, Marilyn Monroe, and Betty Grable) in New York City trying to, as the title suggest, try to marry a millionaire. This is such a fun movie about girl power, trying to make it in a man's world, and finding unexpected happiness. Since the characters in the movie are models, natural there is a lot of great fashion in this movie. Everyone is this film is well dress, I adore the dress Lauren Bacall is wearing in the large photo (the one in the blue dress). This movie is so pretty to the eye and really is fun. From evening gowns, to swimwear, to casual wear, this movie has inspiration for everyone.

3) Rear Window (1955)



 Rear Window is an Alfred Hitchcock mystery thriller about a  photojournalist ( Jimmy Stewert) who's apartment bound in Greenwich Village with a broken legs and spies on his neighbors, until he sees something that he shouldn't have. Actress Grace Kelly plays his fashion savvy girlfriend and for a mystery thriller the fashion is the tops. Edith Head is the costume designer for this film as well (see above sketch). I want every outfit in this film, I love how everything is tailored and elegant and it just moves well. Like it looks so pretty, but it's also livable fashion. It has both flowy and form fitting and just so lovely.







4) Funny Face (1957) 



So it was really hard for me to just pick two Audrey Hepburn movies to put on this list because Audrey Hepburn is such a fashion icon, and my personal fashion icon. I have so many favorite Audrey Hepburn movies: Charade, Roman Holliday, How to Steal a Million, Paris When it Sizzles, My Fair Lady, Love in the Afternoon, Sabrina...the list goes on. But Funny Face I feel is the go for the list because it's a movie that not only has great fashion in it, but is also about the fashion business. Funny Face is a musical about a fashion magazine editor, her photographer (Fred Astaire) who are looking for the "next big thng" who they find in Jo (Audrey Hepburn) bookshop clerk and whisk her away to Paris for fashion and fun, and hipster clubs. This is such a fun movie and so many pretty clothes. Seriously, I can create a whole "look book" based on this movie. Also I really want to do my hair like Audrey's in the movie.
5) Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) 






Of course I had to add Breakfast at Tiffany's. There would have not been a list without this movie. This is one of my all time favorite movie for a million different reasons. I connect to Holly Golightly (Audrey Hepburn) on a really deep level and this movie speaks to me. A romantic comedy about an eccentric socialite and self-proclaimed "wild thing"(Audrey Hepburn) and a writer (George Peppard) finding love as well as each other in this crazy world. What I love about this movie is that Audrey has this really casual elegance and grace to everything she's wearing. She only wears a bright color two in the movie, everything is really simple, even wearing a dress on the walk of shame is pulled off with such class. One scene is just her in an oversize men's tuxedo shirt, but like it works, and it looks great. Even the title credit gives me chills because is both dramatic and simple.
(chills) 

6) Annie Hall (1977) 
 Okay this is the original hipster movie. This is hipster movie before they realized they were hipsters. This one of most popular Woody Allan movies and it's a romantic comedy about a writer (Woody Allan) and a singer (Diane Keaton) about a relationship and its end. Diane Keaton is so lovely and so hips, she's the reason why I fell in love with menswear fashion. Her style is so quirky and so thrown together that it just works and it's good! This move was made in the mid 70's but you can see a lot of people wearing this today. Fashion never dies folks, just does through differet life cycles.




 Okay that's all loves! What are some movies that inspire your style? Let me know in the comments. Remember to follow me on Instagram at sarcasm_in_heels to see all my #ootd and follow me on twitter @deathbydiamond to tweet at me or vote in my tweeter poll. I would love to talk to you guys, so don't be a stranger.

Stay Stylin'
Elle








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Sunglasses and Swimsuit Pairings

Fashion History Lesson: Chokers

My Top 24 Outfits